A lot of people wonder what the difference is between Havana twists, marley twists, and kinky twists. You will find a lot of information out there. As a stylist, I feel it’s my duty to tell you my take on what makes it different.
Let’s start out with what is the same about the 3 versions.
Both require extension hair to be added. The hair extensions typically added is 100% kanekelon, a synthetic hair extension, or at least that is what I work with. They are both super protective styles. The base, parting, and/or part size can be almost any size. They last anywhere from 2-6 weeks.
Marley Twists / Kinky Twists
Root: Hair is added and then 1) braided at the root then further rope twisted or hair is rope twisted at the root and down.
Ends: Ends are left tapered and are or put on perm rods or flexi rods dipped in hot water for 30 or more seconds and allowed to cool leaving curly ends.
Twist Size: The twists are smaller, sleeker, and there is a good amount of tension when installing or twisting.
Types of Hair Used: Bobbi Boss Jamaican Braid Hair (Favorite)
Root: Hair is added and further rope twisted or loosely twisted at the root and down.
Ends: Ends are left tapered and somewhat chunky.
Twist Size: The twists are larger, puffier, thicker and there is not much tension when installing or twisting. They are literally supposed to look like they are growing from your scalp.
Types of Hair Used: Zury Dios Mali Twist Braid (Favorite), Model Model Mojito Twist Braid, Equal Cuban Twist
Havana twists which are usually big can be taken down weekly and moisturized again and easily re-installed for those who have the time. Just gage your hair needs.
Check out some of the pics below>>>my work of course and hopefully it will further clear it up. I personally like to bun my twists since my little one likes to pull them!
How to get super moisturized twists (with or without extensions) with Embrace the Natural You?
- Wash you hair with the Embrace the Natural You Frothing Cleanser.
- Thoroughly detangle with the Embrace the Natural You Leave In & Style Frosting. This can also be used to deep condition.
- Rinse out your conditioner. Leave a little in after rinsing to keep hair super moist prior to styling.
- Towel blot or towel dry hair.
- Add your creamy leave in all over. Start from a quarter size per quadrant for medium length hair or just gage how much you need.
- Prior to installing the extension hair, emulsify a little of the Whipped Crème Icing in your hands and smooth it on your own sectioned hair and commence to twisting.
~Embrace the Natural You